3.23.2012

One down; One to go.

I can't believe it has been a whole year since I have seen that cute face.
A lot has happened this past year, and I can't wait to see what this last year brings.
He is one amazing missionary and I know I brag about him a lot, but Im just so proud of him.

I thought that since today we are celebrating our year mark I would make a post.
I want this post to be a different, more special post.
This is something I have been wanting to do for a while just couldn't find the right time.
And finally I think the time has come.


The H&M Story:
( This may be a little long, but Im doing this mostly for myself to have record of and to reflect on the old memories. So read on if you feel inclined to do so.)


-"I wish I would have never looked back because the look on his face is an image that will be engraved into my brain forever."


It all started in 8th grade.
How we met will forever be a mystery, because if you ask either one of us we might say something like " uh, I think we had science class together?" But neither of us really knows that to be a true statement..

My earliest memories of our relationship began with Study Skills class in 9th grade. He was something else, and I think he had me from the very beginning.
We would walk to class together everyday. It was one of those Junior High relationships.
You know, the ones where you liked each other but were too afraid to even hug?
Whats up with that?
We sat next to each other everyday and the rest of the class time would look something like this..
We played ISpy (where I obviously won every time:) Then play motocross on the computer (where he definitely let me win every time:) and then just a whole bunch of nothingness conversations that had a whole lot of Junior High flirting involved - the slight giggles with the punch on the arm like "Oh your so funny." kind of thing..
Barf.

We hung out here and there, but not as much as I would have liked to. He did indeed pick me up and jump into the freezing cold pool with me.
 Points were lost that night. But of course he gained them back quickly.
I always liked him, but didn't see much of him that summer so I was excited to get back to school in the fall.

Sophomore day came and I walked into my first period.
English.
And there he was, blond hair, bright blue eyed boy. My heart skipped a beat. I was nervous but excited all at the same time.
Sophomore year consisted of a lot of off and on's between us. But of course through thick and thin, I still was starry eyed over this boy. And no matter what he always stuck to my side and treated me like gold.

Second semester we had seminary together. I don't think I could tell you one lesson I learned from that class except the fact that I got very good at a familiar game called "Brick Breaker." - This game becomes very important in years to come.

-He asked me to Prom (my very first dance) and I couldn't have been more excited!
-He showed up at my door on my 16th birthday with a dozen roses. All by himself.

Prom night is one night I will NEVER forget. I can honestly say that was one of the best nights of my life. He was such a gentleman and always opened my door.
The first thing he said when he saw me was "You look beautiful." -won my mom over right then and there:)
The whole night went so well UNTIL it came time to drop me off. I was a bit nervous due to the fact I had only kissed one boy prior to this night. He pulled up in front of my house, walked me to my door, gave me a hug and turned around to leave. I grabbed the door handle and just as I was about to walk inside he said "wait, I forgot to do something." My heart sank, I knew what was coming.
Smooth move babe, real smooth.


Due to complete lack of any matureness I was quickly done. That had ruined it for me and the next day I pulled the "I think we should just be friends" card.
The rest of high school we just stayed friends. We would hang out almost every weekend since Lysha was my best friend and his cousin. And every time we were together we flirted like crazy. I can honestly say that I have liked him since I met him, and he will say the same. But neither of us would ever admit it!!
 He would date someone and then I would date someone. But no matter what, if we were in the same room together, we were flirting.
Typical.

College came and I moved up to Utah State and he moved away to Hawaii. I really never thought I would talk to him again, let alone see him again.
 But it just so happened that one day during church I found the game "Brick Breaker" on my best friend Lindseys phone.
 -ah ha! I told you this game would come back into play!

Immediately it made me think of him so I text him and told him to guess what game I was playing. He got it right.
First try.
We started talking again, and right from the very beginning joked about being old and married together.
 -We were both serious deep down but pretended like it was all just fun and games.

Things unfold quickly and he was too good to be true. I never knew I could be treated that well and it kind of freaked me out. I pulled the "friends" card once again but he wasn't about to give up. He tried everything and I guess it worked. I realized I would be stupid if I didn't date this amazing boy, so thats exactly what I did.
I always told myself I would never be a missionary girlfriend, but I just couldn't let this one go. I knew that everything about this felt right and just had to trust my gut feeling.
Soon enough I was coming home every weekend for him and we were together every chance we got, but knowing in the back of our minds that he was leaving in less than a month.
That last month was the greatest month of my life. And saying goodbye to him is something I never want to do again.

I went over that last day and helped him pack. We spent the whole morning together before I had to drive back up to school to take a test. He walked me out to my car and I gave him his first letter to read when he got to the MTC. We said our goodbyes and all he kept saying was "ill see you in two years."
I started my car and began to drive away. He stood at the end of the drive way. I couldn't believe I held it together so well.
As I drove away I turned my head around one last time.

"I wish I would have never looked back because the look on his face is an image that will be engraved into my brain forever."
I lost it and cried for a solid two hours as I drove back up to school.

Now I am sitting here, reflecting on the memories of the past wishing this last year would hurry up. He has taught me more in the last year and a half then I have learned my whole life. I wouldn't trade this two years for anything, and although its one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, we know that in the end it will all be worth it. I can't wait to see my best friend in a year from now, glowing with happiness after serving the Lord for 24 diligent months. He makes me more proud every single day and I wish he knew what an amazing example he is. I love this boy with all of my heart and can't wait to see him grow even more these last 12 months. 
2years-4forever. 
yes, FOREVER:)

3 comments:

  1. ooookkaay. I love this. We can do it, Hill! Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! i'll be honest, i got teary eyed at the end... the feeling of leaving someone like that knowing you won't see them for two years is killer. one year down, one to go... it will FLY by, i kid you not!! matt gets home in 18 days and i'm peeing my pants. so happy for you hill, you guys are just cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. being completely honest, i definitely balled my eyes out reading this. i am on the one week mark with my boy. he leaves next week for two years. i'm so scared. i don't know how i am going to do this. such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete